Watch the video, take notes, then answer the following questions.
Everyday Life in the Renaissance
Follow up questions
Making Connections: This assignment will be a bit different. Fewer questions, but much more depth. I want you to take notes and work on the questions. You may discuss the questions afterword, get clarification, then work on your responses. I’m looking for high-quality answers that are well thought-out, insightful, and full of connections to life today.
1. During the Renaissance, sumptuary laws were passed to create an obvious distinction between social classes. How are social classes indicated in contemporary society? How can you tell what class a person comes from today?
2. Compare and Contrast the wants and needs of contemporary people (today) with the wants and needs of people living during the Renaissance.
3. During the Renaissance, European cities grew larger and faster than ever before. How do highly populated and fast growing cities impact the environment? What effects do highly populated cities have on the people living in them?
4. What were some of the advantages and disadvantages of life during the Renaissance? How might it have been better than contemporary life? How might it have been worse?
Homework – Due Friday 5/24/12
Renaissance Travel, Trade & Exploration
Video focus questions
Directions: Answer all questions by re-stating the question in your answer. All responses should be well thought out and well-written and posted on your blog as a Word attachment. Due Tues. 5/19/09
1. Name some of the important explorers of the Renaissance.
2. What kinds of navigational instruments did Renaissance explorers use?
3. What were the explorers trying to gain by making their journeys?
4. List some of the hardships that crewmen had to endure while on than expedition.
5. What were some of the negative outcomes of journeys to the New World?
6. Why were many of the explorer’s voyages considered failures?
7. Under what flag did Columbus make his first voyage?
8. What was Magellan’s fleet the first to do?
9. What is the connection between the Ottomans and the “Age of Exploration”?
10. Why were spices so desirable to wealthy people of the Renaissance?
A History of the Renaissance – video focus questions
Classwork/Homework: Watch the video in class, take notes, and answer these questions. Due Mon. 4/6/09
Directions: Answer all questions by re-stating the question in your answer. All responses should be well thought out and well-written.
- Renaissance is an appropriate name for what occurred in Europe between 1300 and 1600 because……..
- What is the meaning of the word “Renaissance”? Why is this an appropriate name for what occurred in Europe between the 1300s and 1600s?
- What did Henry VIII, Louis XI, and Ferdinand and Isabella manage to do during their reigns that caused their respective kingdoms to become wealthier and more powerful?
- What is humanism?
- Why was Francesco Petrarca so important to the Renaissance
- What was the connection between increased trade in the Mediterranean and artistic output during the Renaissance?
- What impact did the printing press have on the Renaissance?
- What were some of the methods that the monarchs of the Renaissance used to consolidate their power?
- What is an indulgence?
- Why did Martin Luther object to the sale of indulgences?
- What were some of the factors that contributed to the erosion of the Church’s authority during the Renaissance?
- What is the link between the Reformation and Protestantism?