A History of the Renaissance – video focus questions
Directions: Answer all questions by re-stating the question in your answer. All responses should be well thought out and well-written.
Ex. The word Renaissance means…………………
This is an appropriate name for what occurred in Europe between 1300 and 1600 because….
- What is the meaning of the word “Renaissance”? Why is this an appropriate name for what occurred in Europe between the 1300s and 1600s?
- What did Henry VIII, Louis XI, and Ferdinand and Isabella manage to do during their reigns that caused their respective kingdoms to become wealthier and more powerful?
- What is humanism?
- Why was Francesco Petrarca so important to the Renaissance?
- What was the connection between increased trade in the Mediterranean and artistic output during the Renaissance?
- What impact did the printing press have on the Renaissance?
- What were some of the methods that the monarchs of the Renaissance used to consolidate their power?
- What is an indulgence?
- Why did Martin Luther object to the sale of indulgences?
- What were some of the factors that contributed to the erosion of the Church’s authority during the Renaissance?
- What is the link between the Reformation and Protestantism?
This is classwork/homework and is due on Tuesday, 5/15/12 in class.
(typed and complete with your name, class and date)