Renaissance Science and Invention
Video focus questions
Directions: Answer all questions by re-stating the question in your answer. All responses should be well thought out and well written.
- Who were some of the important scientists and inventors of the Renaissance?
- What made Galileo’s Pisa experiment so unique?
- Why was the study and application of mathematics so important to Renaissance science and invention?
- What impact did the printing press have on the Renaissance?
- Why is Leonardo considered the quintessential “ Renaissance Man”?
- How did ancient Greek and Roman scholars impact the Renaissance?
- What was the relationship between art and medicine during the Renaissance?
- What contributed to the demand for reliable technology and better ships during the Renaissance?
- What does it mean to have “practical, hands-on” knowledge?
- In 1633, before the Inquisition, Galileo recanted his position that the sun and not the earth was the centre of the universe. What is your opinion of his recantation? What would you have done in his position?
This is classwork/homework and is due Friday, 4/28/11 in class.
(typed and complete with your name, class and date)
The Crusades were a series of military campaigns during Medieval times against the Muslims of the Middle East.
Crusade comes from the Latin word crux, meaning a ‘cross’.
Over the next two days, you will be going to this website and learning about the Crusades. Scroll down until you see the Middle Ages and then click on the link to ‘The Crusades’.
1. Click on the link to the document The Crusades– and save it to your desktop.
2. Then answer the questions on this document as you read through the information.
Black Plague Blog Journal
- Write a detailed journal answering the journal questions below.
- Publish your journal on your blog.
- Title it “Black Plague Blog Journal”
- It will be graded for IDEAS and CONVENTIONS (10 pt. quiz grade)
- In the Middle Ages some people looked to religion to save them. Many other people lost their faith and turned away from religion. How are fear and religion connected? What would people turn to today?
- If the plague were to happen today, how might it affect a community, society, a country, the world, the economy?
**NOTE – you may choose to write a poem for the MS musical INSTEAD of publishing your journal. You need to pick one of the writing assignments to be assessed, or graded.
Due – Wednesday 4/13/11
Mr. Claassen has asked for the talented poets in 7th grade to make a contribution to the upcoming musical by writing poems for
animals that will be featured. Please look over the poems and animals, choose one, and write you own original poem for that animal. Poem lengths and styles are flexible.
Click HERE for the animal poem examples.
Your poem will be scored for WORD CHOICE and CONVENTIONS, 10 points total