Greetings young Romans. You will become newspaper reporters reporting on Scipio’s rapid rise to the top of the Roman Republic during the Punic Wars. Below are the facts you have to start with. Expand on these bullet points with details, quotes, eye-witness accounts. The facts about Scipio should be factual but you may add quotes and some details that are ficticious. Your newspaper article should have a title, date, price, headline, image with caption, advertisement, and details of Scipio’s rise to the top including quotes.
Publius Cornelius Scipio has had a dramatic rise to the top. He was only 25 when appointed as a general. His impressive career is briefly sketched below:
- First task – make Rome powerful in Spain again
- Captured Spanish town of New Carthage in 209 B.C.
- Defeated Hannibal’s two brothers, who held most of Spain, in 206 B.C.
- Appointed Consul in 205 B.C.
- Invaded Africa in 203 B.C. and established control
- Defeated Hannibal at Zama in 202 B.C. after Hannibal returned there
Rough Draft Due Monday, Final newpaper article due Tuesday 11/11/08
Scipio research link: