Here are the 7 main Story Elements that can be found in most literature. Knowing these things about a book can help you become more familiar with it and give you a sense of the big ideas, themes and issues in the writing. Use the Story Elements from the handout to create a Story Map that puts the Elements in a more visual form.
- Plot – What happens in the beginning, middle, and end of the story?
- Setting – When and Where the story takes place?
- Character(s) – Who or what is the story about?
- Theme – What is the underlying message of the story? (ex. love, friendship)
- Conflict – What are the problems faced in the story?
- Solution – How are the problems solved?
- Mood – How does the author make the reader feel?